13.5 - Do It Like a Madman

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

13.5 - Do It Like a Madman

Postby miri on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:54 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 13.5 - Do It Like a Madman

Postby Kanuck on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:01 pm

Some teams must've been really lost in NZ, with a 9h spread in depature times.

I liked the tasks in Cambodia, and varying means of transportation.
Once again, clue reading was crucial. I'm curious what the divorcees did to annoy the editors, as they seem to take particular glee in highlighting the "we're so smart!"/"oh look, we missed another clue" contrasts each week.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby mynameishunter on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:32 am

I liked this episode. I like Nick and Star and I'm starting to like Toni and Dallas because they are working really well together. Even though a lot of people don't, I also like Ken & Tina, although my like for them might go down abit based on next weeks preview but like I said, I liked this episode. I liked the Roadblock and the detour.
mynameishunter
the world is waiting

Postby Loraxe on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:38 am

For the last two episodes, the wonderful locations and interesting tasks have actually made me forget that I still don't care for any of these teams. That said, I would have liked a different ending, because those dorky guys were working my last nerve with their whining about how they couldn't catch a break. No, you are stupid, it's not the universe's fault. Kelly and Kristy do even dumber things and you don't hear them whining about their luck.
Loraxe
fast forwarding

Postby PhilG on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:22 am

I can't remember ever seeing such a wide time discrepancy between the first and last team at the start of a leg.

Did I miss it or did they not explain how the first plane to Singapore left 4 hours before the next but they still were all on the same connecting flight?

Favorite moment: "Whattya mean we're Team # 4?!?!?!" They really are clueless.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:52 am

I found it a little odd that they threw in that little blurb about Terence and Sarah's penalty right at the end there. Why not mention it when they're checking in (or at least put the voiceover there) or at the beginning of the next episode? It just seemed really out of place there at the very end.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby PhilG on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:05 am

Yeah that was strange--and what did they mean when they said it would be assessed at the start of the next leg? Will they open the envelope on time and then have to sit for 1/2 hour? Or will they have a 12 1/2 hour break between legs (which I guess works out to be the same thing)? And why wasn't it assessed at the pit stop like they usually are?
PhilG
road blocked

Postby heliwoman on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:37 am

Will they open the envelope on time and then have to sit for 1/2 hour? Or will they have a 12 1/2 hour break between legs (which I guess works out to be the same thing)? And why wasn't it assessed at the pit stop like they usually are?

I suspect that do to the obvious fact that Ty & Aja were in last place and since it was an elimination leg it was decided to add the penalty to the start of the next race. More frustrating that way to the team, when you think about it. I know that if it was me, to have to wait an additional 30 minutes and watch Toni & Dallas go would be very painful and would put me in the mindset of I have to catch up, etc.
heliwoman
yielded

Postby evening on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:21 am

Great episode - finally! I was there in February, so was screaming throughout the episode! Tonle Sap, Angkor Wat and Bayon were amazing.... At first I was thinking - they're going to tease us with Siem Reap and never show Angkor (like being right there in Peru, but not going to Machu Picchu) so I was thrilled we got to see as much as we did.
evening
road blocked

Postby PhilG on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 am

heliwoman wrote:
I suspect that do to the obvious fact that Ty & Aja were in last place and since it was an elimination leg it was decided to add the penalty to the start of the next race. More frustrating that way to the team, when you think about it. I know that if it was me, to have to wait an additional 30 minutes and watch Toni & Dallas go would be very painful and would put me in the mindset of I have to catch up, etc.

I'll be curious to see the timestamps when they start the next leg and see how far ahead T&S were from the team behind them (Toni/Dallas?)

But it seems to me whether they get a 12 1/2 hour break, had to wait the extras 30 to check in, or wait 1/2 hour after they open the envelope, either way they're still starting the next leg at the same time: Had they arrived at noon and been assessed on the spot, they check in at 12:30 and leave at 12:30. In the other 2 scenarios, they check in at noon, start the next leg at midnight, get assessed the 1/2 hour and still start at 12:30.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:10 pm

Well, I was fooled into thinking this would be an NEL...usually when a team is that far behind, they ignore them so you'll sort of forget there's one more team. I had Ty and Aja in my final three too...oh well.

But I loved the location and thought the tasks were good. Dying to find out how far behind Ty and Aja actually were-hopefully there'll be an interview somewhere.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Tea-time on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:24 pm

Rachel RSL wrote:I found it a little odd that they threw in that little blurb about Terence and Sarah's penalty right at the end there. Why not mention it when they're checking in (or at least put the voiceover there) or at the beginning of the next episode? It just seemed really out of place there at the very end.

I had the same reaction. I wonder if they actually did have to wait out the penalty, but (unlike Mark & Bill) it wasn't shown as it didn't affect their placement or at least their potential elimination. The end result would be the same, as their starting time would be 12 hours and 30 minutes after their initial arrival. Or perhaps a speeding ticket is handled differently than performing a detour wrong.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:45 pm

I quite liked how Andrew was like I never wanted to some posh private school Dan and put him in his place.

Dan just makes me laugh with some of the comments he makes. The dancing was cracking me up. But I wouldn't have thought to go up to the emirates counter after being refused at the flight centre.

Good on them. They would probably have been out of they hadn't got that flight.
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby evening on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:11 pm

It did amaze me how many of them had no idea where Cambodia is. Sure most of them may be too young to remember the Vietnam War, or Pol Pot's resurgence in 1997, but its been such a hot destination for years that Laos is the new place.

You'd think it would be on their radar! Then again, I guess its not a huge spring break or post divorce destination!
evening
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:37 am

According to Ty and Aja in their interview at RealityTVworld, they were about 2 hours behind Dan and Andrew.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Next

Return to Past Seasons