13.4 - I Wonder if They Like Blondes in New Zealand?

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

13.4 - I Wonder if They Like Blondes in New Zealand?

Postby miri on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:02 pm

For those who aren't suffering from a football delay - discuss! The rest of us will join in later.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 13.4 - I Wonder if They Like Blondes in New Zealand?

Postby PButtercup on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Phil's Dad is too cute! I can't say I'm surprised to see the blondes eliminated as they've been back of the pack the whole time. I was at the top of Mount Eden - too bad they were there at night as the view of Aukland is spectacular.
PButtercup
road blocked

Postby shawnxmonkey on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Looks like Ken and Tina are having a little trouble at the fast forward!!
I hope that The divorcees get elimanted soon i hate them
shawnxmonkey
at the start line

Postby bduddy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:22 pm

Nope, Ken and Tina are headed straight to the front. And I hate to say this, but... I actually am OK with them. I mean, they have actually managed to stop their arguing (a divorced couple actually getting back together on the Race-imagine that!) and there's no denying they're good.
bduddy
the world is waiting

Postby AlexDitto on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Augh football delay! T_T

PHIL'S DAD OMG! That was seriously the highlight of the episode for me. SO AWESOME.

As for the teams, I really don't care much about them. I like the mother/son team because they're nice and they're racing well, but since Mark and Bill are gone... don't really care about them.

I do have to say, though, that this leg felt REALLY solid. Really well put together. They had to do a lot of things, but it didn't feel rushed. Teams weren't constantly bunched due to unnecessary opens/closes, so they had a chance to pull ahead/fall behind. A VERY well designed leg.

I've also noticed they've managed to make the Detours a lot more balanced this season. Now, the "do scary stuff" doesn't necessarily put you ahead of the "do tedious task", as they're both challenging, require skill, and take time. The same thing happened with the "Pull a boat/find a container" detour.
Last edited by AlexDitto on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexDitto
at the start line

Postby JenEx on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Phil's Dad! It's like Take-Your-Father-to-Work-Day!

I fricking love this show. Even when the teams mostly suck. Am totally pulling for Toni & Dallas right now. And I want to know if Starr's arm really is broken. WHY did she start driving after that?

I like Ty. "I'm with Fidel." Hee!
Last edited by JenEx on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby AlexDitto on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:45 pm

JenEx wrote:Phil's Dad! It's like Take-Your-Father-to-Work-Day!

I fricking love this show. Even when the teams mostly suck. Am totally pulling for Toni & Dallas right now. And I want to know if Starr's arm really is broken. WHY did she start driving after that?

If it were broken, she wouldn't be able to bend it. It's probably sprained or pulled or bruised-to-heck. Not a good thing anyway.

That said, I can't fault her too much for putting her arms out, even though they told her not to: it looks like it would be the first reflex you'd have if you were about to be tipped over. Then again... follow instructions...

Have I mentioned how much I HATE HATE HATE the football delay? DIE STUPID POINTLESS SPORT DIE. Pushing back my Amazing Race! How dare they? D:<

Edit: Hm... just noticed, 3/4 of the last episodes, the episode title has come from the team who came in last place on that leg... curious!
AlexDitto
at the start line

Postby miri on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Broken, strained, whatever, why do the driving? Maybe it's just habit with them or something. I dunno. Regardless of the pain, she was too upset to be driving when there was another option.
miri

Postby corkystclair on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Phil's Dad! Hi Phil's Dad!

What a great episode. Which says a lot considering how boring I think most of these teams are. I find myself rooting for Ken and Tina more and more each week. I would have been screaming at the top of that needle. And Ty pulled out some nice zingers this week and made his mark on the screen. Yay for fabulous editing - I was really biting my nails at the end this week.

JenEx and miri, I don't know why Starr started driving after the broken arm either, but I'm glad she did. Hilarious!
corkystclair
gal friday & clay maniac

Postby yikes on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:54 pm

Now we know where Phil gets his awesomeness. His dad was too cute.

Kinda sad for Marissa and Brooke. Not the brightest of the bunch, but they didn't give up and seemed to enjoy the experience.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby AlexDitto on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:29 pm

The shot of the sheep scattering as the camera did a dramatic low-ground run shot... made me gleeful. It was like running through a flock of pigeons, but much more satisfying!

More Phil's dad plzkthx. <3

Yes, broken arm driving made no sense.

I find myself wondering where sequesterville is this season...

And finally, we know where that crazy shot of the guy sticking his tongue out in the opening sequence is from. I knew we would find out. The editors must love that shot. Not only is it in the opening, I think they played it twice during the roadblock. The exact same guy sticking his tongue out in the exact same way... haha!

Oh, and the touching noses thing! Half the teams just didn't get it. Andrew was totally out of his comfort zone, poor guy.
AlexDitto
at the start line

Postby theschnauzers on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:41 pm

This week, Maori warriors, Gordian Knots, windsailing go-karts, a reprise of the infamous mask roadblock from TAR 4 in Venice, smashing kiwis, finding gnomes from a distance, and "Hi, I'm Phil's Dad!" -- what an hour!

As to Starr's driving after her arm injury....Nick said in an earlier episode that he has to work to keep Starr calm, or words to that effect. He might have already suggested that he drive, and she said she wanted to drive -- the tone in Nick's voice was clearly aimed at trying to calm Starr down and at the same time, get her to let him drive and not waste time about it until they got to the pit stop.
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby vinzanity on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:17 am

By far one of the best episodes I have witnessed in a very long time.

Looks like karma bites Starr in the ass after the whole sports bra controversy and her idea of telling Aja/Ty to yield Kelly/Christy. I wonder if this injury will affect her ability to perform the tasks on the future legs to come. This will probably lead to their downfall unless she has a speedy recovery.
vinzanity
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:45 am

As Tony the Tiger would say GGGGGGRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT!

Everything about this episode was top notch. First off, everyone makes the plane. The airline company must have loved that, 36 full price fares on what must be an expensive route (or they had previously reserved them to make sure everyone stayed together.) How did the teams get so far apart in the 12 km trip from the airport to the marina? Is customs that bad in NZ?

The FF was great, it wasn't a slam dunk, it took some guts that I probably don't have to climb to the top an a tower outside. The roadblock was nice, the pink girls reaction to the warrior guarding the patterns was priceless.

The detour was good, both choices took some time to complete, giving neither an clear shot advantage.

I doubt Starr's arm was broken, look cut and bruised and perhaps sprained to me. Looked like she got her hand caught near the wheel.

Finally, the piece de resistance - Phil's dad! One question, though, where was he when Ty and Aja arrived? He was there for the teams before and after their arrival. Maybe just needed a break?

p.s. I give my TIVO an extra hour for the Amazing Race to cover potential extended NFL games.
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby macaddict on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:46 am

theschnauzers wrote:smashing kiwis
Phil and his dad are both smashing Kiwis, aren't they! The look on Phil's face when his dad moved in for the hug with Marissa and Brooke was so awesome.
macaddict
road blocked

Next

Return to Past Seasons