13.1 - Bees Are Much Calmer Than All This!

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

13.1 - Bees Are Much Calmer Than All This!

Postby miri on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:57 pm

discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 13.1 - Bees Are Much Calmer Than All This!

Postby BrianBoyko on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:01 pm

Well, looks like the Hippies went. Didn't see that one coming, though as the show went on, it was a bit telegraphed. They were last on the plane, in the last pack on the bus.

As for "team Superbad," I'm happy they stayed in but surprised at how they handled the detour. If you climb steps and you're going to be asked a question at the top of it? I'm surprised they didn't think to count the steps the first time up.
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby miri on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:05 pm

There's no need to use spoiler tags. Once the show has aired it's fair game.
miri

Postby AlexDitto on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:06 pm

WOO! WOOOOOOO! I was so excited, I was bouncing around my room. It is SO GOOD to see Phil again! And some interesting new teams... and of course, immediately, we have a whiny "don't talk to them talk to me TOUCH ME HOLD ME" team. Augh!

What is with people and alliances? This is a RACE. We've seen before, they don't last very long. It's hard to have an alliance with someone who's constantly trying to outrun you. Just race race race!

I'm rooting for the "geek" team. They seem genuine, funny, and I think they're going to enjoy the race while running it. I always like to see that. I would guess that they're fans of the show, too? They seem to know what to expect. Geeks represent! (EDIT: Yep. They're fans of the show. AND GAMERS. HELL YES.)

I was sad to see Anita and Arthur go so soon. Such character! And the bees! Loved that!

Hm. Were the little truck-things a two person roadblock? Seemed kind of silly, making them wheel a truck with snacks... the funicular was the only interesting part. I mean, are snack trolleys really part of Brazilian culture?

And climbing the stairs? That was a pretty dirty trick. I mean, the challenge might as well have been "go up the stairs TWICE." Who would have thought to count the stairs the first time up? Well, seasoned TAR fans, sure, but besides them? :P Obviously, they've never watched the show before.
AlexDitto
at the start line

Postby ToniW on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:11 pm

Aww! I was hoping to see Anita and Arthur for a while. At least they had a chance to run the Race.

Welcome back, Phil!
ToniW
fast forwarding

Postby vinzanity on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:13 pm

The "climbing the steps with your bare hands and feet" was a terribly designed detour. You'd think they can at least come up with better ideas, eh? In Andrew and Dan (Team Superbad)'s defense, they were probably thinking how stupid they'd look on camera in front of the world, climbing steps like a dog.

Other than that, I thought the first half of the episode was really intense, but it kind of went downwards from there. Perhaps the absence of the roadblock on this episode was the reason why.
vinzanity
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby AlexDitto on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:27 pm

vinzanity wrote:The "climbing the steps with your bare hands and feet" was a terribly designed detour. You'd think they can at least come up with better ideas, eh?

I wanted to punch the guys drumming on the steps; it looked like they moved forward to try to squeeze into the camera shot and in doing so tried to get closer to the guys climbing. They were probably instructed to try to annoy them as much as possible, or throw off their counting. BAH. They didn't highlight whether climbing those steps on hands and knees was culturally significant or part of a pilgrimage or something, so it seemed completely arbitrary. Also it took the focus off the beautiful church. Not cool!

I think one of the reasons the excitement kind of tapered off toward the end was that once people lined up for the cargo net, it was pretty much an in-order check in at the detour. It felt like teams didn't really have much of a chance to pass one another (some teams did pass going down the net, but... meh. It was more like two snails passing each other). A lack of roadblock might have been the reason, or maybe everyone taking one detour.

Even from the very beginning, after they arrived at the candy trolleys, it all felt very encumbered, like they didn't really have a chance to pick up speed. Before they could, they were doing a stop over and sleeping the night, and the next morning it was the same way. Taxi, detour, cross the street, finish. Not much time to explore.
AlexDitto
at the start line

Postby Northwoods101 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Terramce is making remember Jonathon kindly, complaining that Sarah is meeting the other teams rather tahn giving him attention, forbiding her from talking on the cargo net and speaking for her! She has issues as well, getting mad at Star and her brother for not responding, I doubt they even heard her. U hope team superbad goes soon, after seeing their paste white man boobs in their intro Ive seen anough of them for a lifetime. I miss the two hour primeres, you get to know the teams a little better.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby cutecouple on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:43 pm

This was an interesting edit. They didn't even show the last block of teams checking into the overnight campground. Relatively fast and efficient.

Overall a decent start to the season, but so far not much that distinguishes itself from other seasons. I did expect the older beekeeper couple to be the last place team - they didn't seem to have enough oomph to push through.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby ajlingo on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:12 pm

So glad the show is back. Phil's exaggerated eyebrow-pop nearly made me spill my beer.
ajlingo
at the start line

Postby shawnxmonkey on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:01 am

God I hope these teams get some personality none of them are that exciting.

I can't judge fairly from the first episode because it always sucks..

You had to know the greatful dead were not gonna last long.

As for the rest of the teams.

I want team superbad to go so badly!

They are so obnoxious.

There are absolutley no teams that i really care for yet
shawnxmonkey
at the start line

Postby [sic] on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:06 am

Great to see the show back, but the tasks were largely uninspired. And I agree the second half was slow because there wasn't really any racing. They didn't even bother with that horribly cliched ending--the one where they pretend two teams are racing to the end, some minor mishap befalls the team in front, the camera does a first-person shaky zoom towards the mat, only to reveal that it was indeed the leading team that escapes elimination. Of course, it's a bit harder to believe when there's only one ferry to the island pitstop. Which ferry will get there first? Probably the one that left first.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I didn't understand the timed departures. I thought there would be a ferry, but they just went to get a cab after their departure times? I suppose that's one way to get an "eat, sleep, mingle" in and still give an advantage to the faster teams. Speaking of which, that was strange seeing so much of their mingling. Foreshadowing a romance?

Not too many teams made much of an impression, but I already want to throttle the overbearing Tony Hawk and his insecure girlfriend.
[sic]
the world is waiting

Postby Kanuck on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:58 am

Mod note: please avoid using nicknames (other than ones used directly in the show itself) as is can often become quite confusing to read the boards when there are multiple nicknames for each team.

Crawling up the stairs to the church is a 'cultural activity' - that is, I've heard numerous references to the practice at Brazilian churches, especially in the period leading up to Easter.

I don't mind Sarah yet but wow is Terrance obnoxious and needy.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:35 am

So far - hating Terrance & sarah..no strong feelings for the other teams at the mo.

Expected the older Hippies team to come last...

And - mystery clue at the end.. hello Frats.. I would have thought about what they could have possibly have asked and counted the steps anyway!
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:31 am

I don't mind Sarah yet but wow is Terrance obnoxious and needy.
She seems to be needy about others - he's just needy about her. Getting upset because Nick and Starr didn't reply to her when they most likely didn't realize she was talking to them and were concentrating on finding a cab.

I knew it wasn't going to happen but I was hoping that the question was either "What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow" or "What is your favorite color?".
M. Darcy
philpostle

Next

Return to Past Seasons