12.11 - The Final Push

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

12.11 - The Final Push

Postby yikes on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Best. Roadblock. EVER.

In other news, TK and Rachel win, Don is loved by all and Ron's hernia didn't explode on the mat. Discuss!
yikes
fast forwarding

Re: 12.11 - The Final Push

Postby mynameishunter on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:11 pm

GO TK and RACAEL! I was glad to see Kynt and Vyxsin happily cheering them own along with the others. It was a great leg!
mynameishunter
the world is waiting

Postby vinzanity on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:56 pm

Such a great episode. Loving every moment of it, it's a shame they didn't have a 2-hour season finale. I especially like the fact that the teams were told that they will be heading to their final destination at the start of the leg instead of delaying that until later on. I liked the roadblock, one of the best we had in a long time (second to TAR9 where BJ and Tyler beat Eric and Jeremy in the final roadblock challenge). I'm still scratching my head as to why they didn't allow teams to use a pencil, but you gotta give Rachel big kudos for staying calm (unlike the other two) and recalling the specific details that ultimately handed TK and Rachel a cool cheque of a $1M. Way to go!

The only complaint I had about tonight, if you can even call it that, was that my prediction came true... It would have been so nice to see Ron and Christina defy the odds (from the start of the race) and win it all, but I'm definitely proud to see that the race has given them a father-daughter relationship that is in itself worth a million dollars.
vinzanity
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby rockhpi on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:02 pm

First off, I officially renounce any comments I made about Rachael's mental sharpness. She won it for her team in a fairly tricky Roadblock and I couldn't have been more delighted. I really didn't want to see an R&C win (I know I'm in the minority) and it REALLY looked like a R&C winners edit for a while there. The Roadblock took 20 years off of my life and this finale was a stressful rollercoaster from the start. Honestly, I didn't enjoy the actual show much, but it's no fault of the Race or the Racers - it was me worrying that R&C would take it all.

But I'm glad to see we didn't have half the show in a meaningless Hawaii task that saw everyone on the same plane back to the mainland. I would have liked to have seen the teams driving themselves, however, because when winners are determined by bad cab drivers, it kills the experience for me (e.g. TAR 10). I suppose they figure that Racers on the last leg are likely to drive 150mph to get the million, but can't the camerapeople narc on them?

Overall, a very good season!
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Kanuck on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:58 pm

I don't think the cabs made a huge difference - despite the editing to create "drama" teams still arrived at their destinations in the same order/time differences as they'd left, for each of the driving segments.

I liked the finale - a good mix of mental and physical tasks with a great final RB and a rewarding result. All in all , a good ending to a good season.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby Soulcoughin on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:14 am

I do like TK & Rachel, but it bugged me a bit that despite all the mistakes they made they were never penalized (fell behind) that much. It seemed too easy for them to come back and win the whole thing.

Still a good season, I'm already going through withdrawals! Any word on a new season coming up? You would think that with the writer's strike still goin on that TAR would be a highly sought after property.
Soulcoughin
the world is waiting

Postby rockhpi on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:58 am

I don't think the cabs made a huge difference

I agree for this finale...I was sort of remarking in general, I would rather see teams driving and navigating for themselves on the most important leg.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby cutecouple on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:46 am

rockhpi wrote:
I don't think the cabs made a huge difference

I agree for this finale...I was sort of remarking in general, I would rather see teams driving and navigating for themselves on the most important leg.
Couldn't that get dangerous with teams taking extreme risks to make the finish line?
cutecouple
bunched

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:36 am

I , too, was hoping for a non-R&C victory, and was on the edge of my seat until Rachel pulled out the Roadblock.

I wonder how it would have turned out had Nick and Don not forgot their supply bag? I think that might have cost them the race.

As a jet-boat co-owner, I especially liked the jet-boat ride, and was constantly wondering what kind of engine and jet drive they had, and what the top speed was. Looked pretty fast ~60.
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby sillysaya on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:54 am

I was hoping Ron and Chris would win but she gets stumped by the Roadblock! Oh well. This has been one of the better seasons for me. I'm happy there were less mactor's and more diverse folks though too many Californians. No disrespect. I lived in California for 9 years and love them to bits.
Good for Grandpa Donald the oldest racer to be in the Final 3. Yay Grandpa!!
Oh yeah. Ron's hernia. Good that it didn't bother him unless of course editing decided to leave out any more attacks. Ron certainly had a roller coaster reputation among fans. First liked then vilefied for his outbursts but I will give him credit for his awareness that he must change for the better.
I hope he carries this newfound respect for Christina beyond the race.
Congratulations to TK and Rachel. Honestly they were not the most interesting team by far but they got the job done. Good on them.
sillysaya
yielded

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:05 am

I hope the bag thing didn't cost them the race - cos I loved Nic and Don and so wanted them to win. It can't have been that far between the shop and place as TK& Racheal didn't seem to be wasting that much time and they caught back up with them..

That roadblock was intense!
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:11 am

Oh from http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,14244.msg249281.html#msg249281
it seems the bag incident didn't cost them the race.

Answer - Not at all. I have imported my latest post from the Ep11 Finale commentary thread:

I decided to see as best I can how the need to return to 6th Avenue Outfitters impacted Donald and Nicholas. In the show it appears that this was a significant impact that may have cost them the race. I found the address for 6th Avenue Outfitters(520 W. 6th Ave., Anchorage) and approximated address along the north and south sides of Ship Creek near its end. The results are that the maximum would have been approximately 1 mile and maybe 3 minutes. This was a fairly minor penalty. It appeared that they lost by a whole lot more than 3 mintues.
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:24 am

Couldn't that get dangerous with teams taking extreme risks to make the finish line?

Well, couldn't that be so on any leg of the race? And they have cameramen with them to report any lawbreaking. Thinking back, I think most final legs have had cabs or public transportation, but it seems like it could potantially throw a lot of luck into the equation.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby WalterC on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:28 am

Too bad that a family team did not win the race, but it doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, with TK & Rachel winning the race. They deserved it.

That roadblock puzzle was hard to figure out. I would have drove myself nuts over it.
WalterC
bunched

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 am

I've just been watching the webclips, and in the Don & Nic mat chat, Don said he was there an hour before Racheal came out. That's a long time for the quickest team to do it in - would be interested in finding out the numbers there.
kelda_shelton
bunched

Next

Return to Past Seasons