12.10 - Sorry, Guys, I'm Not Happy to See You

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

12.10 - Sorry, Guys, I'm Not Happy to See You

Postby miri on Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Well, there goes my idea for a new TAR drinking game rule: anytime Jen says she can't handle it anymore, chug!

NATE-UH. I'm not freaking out-uh!

Uh.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 12.10 - Sorry, Guys, I'm Not Happy to See You

Postby theschnauzers on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:05 pm

So much for that supposed spoiler, thank heavens!
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby Chamo on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Jen got a nice birthday present.

Karma BABY!
Chamo
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby WalterC on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:11 pm

Glad to see 2 family teams in the finals, a first in the 2-person team format, as well as a first for a parent/child team to make it that far. At the start of the race, I thought both of those teams would be gone by the 4th leg, but they continued to surprise me, like the way Teri & Ian did in season 3.

First, the Dallas Cowboys, then Nate & Jen getting eliminated. This has truly made my day.
WalterC
bunched

Postby yikes on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:14 pm

Sweet Jeebus, the spoiler was wrong. WHOOO!!!

Damn, I wish I was going to TARCon.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby Ray on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:14 pm

Great episode. I liked the detour - I'm not surprised no one did the other one...the amount they had to do was incredible. When Phil first described it, I was like, "That's easy..." and when he mentioned they had to do twenty, I was, "What?"

I guess what Nate said last week during their interview came true, huh?
Ray
yielded

Postby PatentlyTAR on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:19 pm

Other than the totally bogus "go somewhere that doesn't open for 3 hours (hmm 3 hours, wonder where that came from)", this was a very good leg. It was nice to see tasks that the old folks could excel at, having thicker skin, literally, on their feet.
PatentlyTAR
yielded

Postby jer2002 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:26 pm

yikes wrote:Sweet Jeebus, the spoiler was wrong. WHOOO!!!

Damn, I wish I was going to TARCon.

I'm glad I'm not. Damn :( This is a suck ass F3 to me. I only like Nick/Don.
jer2002
taking a detour

Postby AlexDitto on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Woo! Well, finally, some good news! The mean bickering team is finally gone, Ron and Chris are nice to each other, the Grandpa continues to kick his Grandson's butt being awesome, and TK and Rachel are just so cute!

I must say, I was hoping a team would do the Fire detour, if only because of how beautiful it looked, but Earth was gorgeous too, all those lanterns... it was pretty crazy for them to ask them to do 20... as soon as Phil said that, I knew no one would take it.

Still mourning the loss of Kynt & Vyxsin... at least the season finale is sure to have a good outcome. Woo! I'm constantly reminded of why I love this show. The shots of the Chang Kai Chek Memorial Hall at night were breathtaking, and the tea-drinking challenge was appropriate and beautiful.

Also, props to Chris for knowing Japanese and Chinese. Languages are definitely a leg up on the Race.

I'M OFF TO GO STUDY SOME FOREIGN LANGUAGES NOW.
AlexDitto
at the start line

Postby colav10 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Other than the totally bogus "go somewhere that doesn't open for 3 hours (hmm 3 hours, wonder where that came from)",

I checked the official Floating Garden Observatory website and it states the normal hours of operation is indeed 10 AM to 10 PM. So those operating hours were not made up by the race to allow Rachel and TK to catch up.
colav10
the world is waiting

Postby Ray on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:34 pm

PatentlyTAR wrote:Other than the totally bogus "go somewhere that doesn't open for 3 hours (hmm 3 hours, wonder where that came from)", this was a very good leg. It was nice to see tasks that the old folks could excel at, having thicker skin, literally, on their feet.

I don't think it was bogus. When TK and Rachel walked past the opening hours time, it did indicate that the gardens opened at 10am.
Ray
yielded

Postby grbecca on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:59 pm

I was unintentionally spoiled this season...and I am super glad that the spoilers I read turned out to be wrong, wrong, wrong!! Bye, Nate and Jen! Sorry your relationship issues were so publicly outed.

This is the first time in a long time that I have been happy with all three teams in the top three...I am really liking Nick and Don. Christina has really been rocking the language skills for the past couple episodes...I'm pretty impressed with how Ron is actually trying hard to be a supportive parent/teammate.

TK and Rachel, who I've liked from the beginning, seemed to have a little more stress this time, but really enjoyed their speed bump. Good on them for keeping up with the pack in spite of it.
grbecca
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby reflexsilver86 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:00 pm

I've been following these forums for the entire season, but finally decided to register and start posting... I think a catalyst for action was Nate and Jen's elimination and wanting to share my elation.

Seriously, they were the most painful team to watch, IMO, since Jonathan and Victoria in Season 6.
Except, to be fair, I think Nate was fine, it was all Jen... as opposed to Jonathan and Victoria being both equally irritating.

Was I the only one who was watching the screaming match between them in Taipei while waiting for the bus, with all the locals standing a marked distance back, and being thankful that they're no longer being unofficial ambassadors for the US.... at the same time that the race now moves on to Alaska? lol

As for Chris and Ron and Nate and Don, I loved both of those teams from the beginning and never would have expected that either one of them would have made it to the final 3. It really worked out great for Chris and Ron that for two consecutive legs they happened to go to countries whose languages are incredibly different from English, but that at least one of them spoke (Chris's Japanese and both of their Mandarin) which gave them an advantage, if not tactical at least it made them feel more comfortable. I also love watching how their relationship has improved, and as it's improved, they both started doing incredibly well.

Their best move was getting the first flight from Osaka-Taipei all to themselves.

TK and Rachel's come from behind was just crazy. If they wind up winning, they definitely worked hard for it and kept an incredibly upbeat attitude.

Can't wait for next week!
reflexsilver86
the world is waiting

Postby rockhpi on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Surprisingly, I was rooting for Ron & Christina to go out this leg. I can't explain it.

I liked the cutting back and forth between teams to show that everyone makes the same "Whooo noise" when going up an elevator.

I really lost a lot of respect for Christina for the "Don't let them on the plane" stunt - I have a hard time believing an airline would do it. The plane was probably full and it was edited to make it look like Christina was responsible. But that kind of stuff is a bit Mirna-ish.

The Jeep task was fun to watch, but really, it's a first-in, first-out task and the Racers didn't have to do much. Looking back, I'd have to say the tasks this season have been really good.

When did Phil quit saying "A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with their own pros and cons"? Because, like dorks, we say it along with him when a Detour comes up and he's been changing it up lately. I'm very put off... It's like the world is out of synch.

Here's hoping for a good finale - any word on whether it's 2-hours? Season 10 (in my opinion) was a top-tier season except for the abbreviated finale where the best cab driver determined the winner. I'd be happy with any team except R&C.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby curse reversed on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:11 pm

Wow, only the second time in 12 seasons that the final episode doesn't include a team that I don't want to win. My mom thought that N/J were going to survive by outrunning Don to the mat.

Loved how Ron said the detour didn't hurt his feet because they were already callused. Did it seem to anyone else that they cut away from every R/C interview just as Ron started to get choked up? When Chris said at the RB that he was afraid of heights I said to the TV "then close your eyes, it's not like you're driving".

I was sure TK/Rachel were going to get a penalty for taking the tea with them-I thought Phil said they had to finish it at the table but I guess he didn't. The speedbump must have been really fast-good thing they got the heads-up on using the ticketing machines at the first station.

Love how Don and Nick (well Don, at least) said that his biggest fear was that they would be eliminated first since a) it's cool to hear a team in the Final 3 say that and b) I think a lot of people probably thought they would be.

Edited because as I was typing reflexsilver said my last thought much more eloquently and to say-Yay another Tampan!
curse reversed
bunched

Next

Return to Past Seasons