TAR 8-3: I Don't Kiss, I Make Out

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:21 am

They didn't even have to drive themselves to Dulles. That is just bogus. There are three airports in the DC area. They should have told them they had to figure it out like in the first episode of TAR 1.

Damn, I said at the beginning of the episode that I liked the Aiellos and of course, they are eliminated.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Rachel RSL on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:24 am

Ugh, I can't believe how much I'm hating this season! For the first time ever during all my seasons of TAR watching, I actually flipped channels to watch something else during the show. I just can't stomach most of these teams and the lack of international travel is beyond boring. Not to mention how, as everyone else said, this leg was so poorly designed. I don't think the hurricane had anything to do with route changes. They may have had to change where the teams slept but the Race route itself is carefully planned out months in advance. There's no way they could just change an entire leg at the last minute due to a tropical storm. It was poorly planned, plain and simple.

It's also sad that one of the few teams I like was eliminated because of that poor planning. HATE the Weavers! They're obnoxious. Like, yeah, sorry about your dad. This is very sad. But that still doesn't change the fact that you're all obnoxious. I also hated when the Gaghan parents were going on about how their evil spawn were proving that kids do belong on the Race. Um, no, they don't. They had to change the entire concept of the Race in order to accommodate kids and guess what? The Race sucks now!
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby FrankTheTank on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:45 am

joe m wrote:Yay! Papa didn't hold back my girls this week. (-; Plus their rapport with the Aiellos has to be considered a good mark. Those are 2 very likable teams. Gonna miss the FIL/SILs.

Agreed, these 2 were by far my favorites, and I'm glad they got along. On last week's 'Mat Chat', the Bransens talked about how they liked the Boston boys a lot because they were helping them out at the detour, which is why they returned the favor at Dools (as someone called it!) Airport.

I really can't blame Hunter for calling his step-mom a bitch. If she did say "shut your pie hole" to him, she totally deserved it. He was just sitting at the airport having fun with a kid his own age. I thought it was nice that Rolly and Hunter were bonding. It's a down time, there's really nothing to do, why not hang out? Stupid bitch. Stassi is still suprisingly non-annoying.

Yeah, if she said that, then I don't blame Hunter either. I think she said something that irritated him. We don't know Hunter's relationship with his birth mom either. If he really loves his mom, then I can see how he won't like Char, no matter how nice she is to him. I don't think either one was really wrong, it was a fairly common teenage boy reaction to his stepmom trying to act like his mom. And she had a right to make sure he wasn't slipping any strategy to Rolly. No harm, no foul.

I also agree with everyone that it was a poorly planned leg. It would've been better had they gone to Huntsville first, then camped out on the Space Camp grounds, then taken the mystery busses early in the morning, and raced to do the detours in Charleston before going to the pit stop. That way, the teams on the 2nd bus could duke it out over the detours instead of just grabbing the number of what place you're going to finish in. That was a tough way to go out for the Aiellos. That had to suck watching the video of Phil and knowing that you were done. It's too bad though that they dawdled too much over who should do the Road Block and didn't read the first come, first serve part until it was too late.

ETA:
Rachel RSL wrote:I also hated when the Gaghan parents were going on about how their evil spawn were proving that kids do belong on the Race. Um, no, they don't. They had to change the entire concept of the Race in order to accommodate kids and guess what? The Race sucks now!

Not to mention Carissa looked like a zombie in this episode. I don't think she's going to last much longer. But hey, she didn't lose it as fast as the 3 Weaver girls!
Last edited by FrankTheTank on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTheTank
bunched

Postby DariaG on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:48 am

They didn't even have to drive themselves to Dulles. That is just bogus. There are three airports in the DC area. They should have told them they had to figure it out like in the first episode of TAR 1.

Yeah, but they were too far off in one direction to choose anything other than Dulles, which they'd pass on the way in to DC. And on every road they'd have to drive past umpteen signs for Dulles to get to the other two airports, so there would be zero challenge in it. That didn't bother me at all, because it was like driving from Baltimore -- of course you'd go to BWI from that direction.

I do think the Aiellos were one of these teams that kept making too many little mistakes. Those teams usually go out in the first half, so their elimination didn't surprise me. Sadly, the Paolos seem to be learning how to race.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby michelec on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:44 am

Ugh, I can't believe how much I'm hating this season! For the first time ever during all my seasons of TAR watching, I actually flipped channels to watch something else during the show. I just can't stomach most of these teams and the lack of international travel is beyond boring. Not to mention how, as everyone else said, this leg was so poorly designed.

You flipped channels, I washed dishes. I really tried to get into Family Edition but this last leg just did me in it was so awful. Since the Aiellos was the only remaining team I was actively rooting for, I'm done with Season 8. Here's hoping TAR gets its mojo back in S9.
michelec
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby EnricoV on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:51 am

I really can't blame Hunter for calling his step-mom a bitch. If she did say "shut your pie hole" to him, she totally deserved it. He was just sitting at the airport having fun with a kid his own age. I thought it was nice that Rolly and Hunter were bonding. It's a down time, there's really nothing to do, why not hang out? Stupid bitch.

I don't blame him a bit. In this instance, he appears to be correct. But in general, I don't find it at all bad, or unusual, that a boy that age would say that about a parent to another boy.

After all, one must appear to be cool and aloof when one's parental unit is yanking one's chain in front of your friends.

Contrary to what many others here seem to think so far, I'm really not hating this season. I'm not as engaged as in the past races, but I'm not hating it. The order of the Roadblock did determine the outcome, but it has often enough in the past that I didn't mind it. I liked all the tasks in this leg, as much as I hated the outcome. The Aiellos were the only ones I have grown to really like.
EnricoV
bunched

Postby DariaG on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:59 am

Ditto your last paragraph, Enrico, except I like most of the remaining teams. It's not good TAR, but it's good television. And that's my bumper-sticker for this season! Or it would be if I did bumper stickers for TAR seasons, which I don't.
DariaG

Postby djeber on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:01 am

Yeah, I was also pretty disappointed in this episode. It started well, but the second half of the leg was really poorly designed. In fact, the way it was set up, I honestly believed this was going to be a non-elimination leg. I mean, how is it fair that, other than the charter busses (which I did like), elimination was all based on what number you picked? Plus, roadblocks in which the racers don't actually have to do anything sucks.

Overall, I'm not loving this season, and that's largely because of the "family edition" thing. In every other season, I knew the names of all the racers by the third episode and could identify them on screen. This season, I finally know the family names, but I barely know any of the racer's individual names and I couldn't pick most of them out of a lineup. With this many people, it's hard for individual personalities to shine through. That's why I really didn't care that the Aiello's were eliminated tonight. I don't know their names, I can't remember their faces, and I got no sense of their personalities. Same thing for most of the other teams, where maybe only one person sticks out.

The other big disappointment is the fact that the race just seems a lot easier this time, both because of the setting and the way the teams are pretty much being given everything. I was glad to see an airport, because it finally meant the teams had to use a little bit of travel skill. Otherwise it's just driving from place to place, and while that does occasionally provide some interesting twists (e.g. The Rogers), it's not nearly the same as trying to navigate the trains in India, or whatever. Again, I assume this is because the producers felt they had to make things easier because there are kids on the show.

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to seeing the Weavers at the racetrack next week, and not because I think it's cruel. They could send them to a racetrack every week and I wouldn't care less. Rather, it's because I know we're now going to have to sit through a long cry-and-screechfest about how traumatic this all is, followed by a syrupy, manufactured storyline about how they've all pulled together as a family and overcome their fears and their all stronger for it now, all of which will no doubt be accompanied by lots of slo-mo footage of hugging and crying set to a cheesy "uplifting" faux-string musical score. Blech.
djeber
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby miri on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:09 am

Speaking of being given everything - did you notice the big stash of water bottles in the backseat of the charter bus?
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Jake on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:11 am

djeber wrote:Rather, it's because I know we're now going to have to sit through a long cry-and-screechfest about how traumatic this all is, followed by a syrupy, manufactured storyline about how they've all pulled together as a family and overcome their fears and their all stronger for it now, all of which will no doubt be accompanied by lots of slo-mo footage of hugging and crying set to a cheesy "uplifting" faux-string musical score. Blech.

You can bet money on this happening. Don't forget to include many exclamations of "Jesus" and "Lord".
Jake
taking a detour

Postby joe m on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:14 am

I know we're now going to have to sit through a long cry-and-screechfest about how traumatic this all is, followed by a syrupy, manufactured storyline about how they've all pulled together as a family and overcome their fears and their all stronger for it now, all of which will no doubt be accompanied by lots of slo-mo footage of hugging and crying set to a cheesy "uplifting" faux-string musical score. Blech.

So basically every videos/letters from home episode of Survivor.
joe m
taking a detour

Postby emjaytee on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:19 am

not good TAR, but it's good television. And that's my bumper-sticker for this season!

I'd like to order one of them there bumper stickers. I am enjoying this season. Not ENJOYING it like I usually do. But I have put myself in a frame of mind where I am not expecting anything from this season that will resemble the regular race. So I am taking it as it comes. It's TAR-lite. Something to cleanse the palate until the real TAR starts with the ninth edition.
emjaytee
TARfloozy

Postby FrankTheTank on Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:00 am

emjaytee wrote:
not good TAR, but it's good television. And that's my bumper-sticker for this season!

I'd like to order one of them there bumper stickers. I am enjoying this season. Not ENJOYING it like I usually do. But I have put myself in a frame of mind where I am not expecting anything from this season that will resemble the regular race. So I am taking it as it comes. It's TAR-lite. Something to cleanse the palate until the real TAR starts with the ninth edition.

Agreed. I like it too, count me in the 'it's better than no-TAR' camp. And I really don't mind the All-North America aspect either, it makes sense because of the youngin's, and there's some cool places they can go to in the US and Canada. And, of course, it definitely helps that we all know TAR9 is going back to normal TAR.
FrankTheTank
bunched

Postby Northwoods101 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:19 am

I feel really bad for Hunter, not only did Char get on case over nothing, how much stategy could he give over, they were on the same flight. After last nights episode aired with Char seeing Hunter calling her a bitch on national TV, he'll have to sit down and explain himself and he'll propably be on her shitlist for life. And she was being a bitch, let the kid have some fun with another his age.

Ma Weaver prays for directions, but not strength and wisdom when her family is having a nervous breakdown?? They have surplanted the Paolas' for my most wanted to be philiminated. I thought Phil seemed pissed at Ma Weaver for her being a prisoner remarks. She really needs to sit down with Ron and talk about being held captive.

I am beginning to think when the Paolas' are last it will be a non-elimination leg.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby Northwoods101 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:34 am

The Weavers meltdown had a couple of positive benefits for the Poalo's, it got them to stop fighting for a while and be slightly more likeable.
Northwoods101
road blocked

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons