TAR 8-3: I Don't Kiss, I Make Out

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby yikes on Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:56 pm

As twisted as the Weavers at the track looks so far, I don't mind it. I felt that from the start, the race was about challenging people, expect anything and everything and confront their fears head on, whether it be heights, snakes, etc. To me, this is a test for the family to see if they are ready to band together despite the circumstances and push through and in the process, face their nightmare head on. If Brian and Greg managed to survive their brush with death WHILE racing, why can't the Weavers go to a track?

Plus as others at TWoP have posted and pointed out, the "father died at the track" could have been their hook on the application form to begin with. If that was the case, then it's even less surprising.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby Maniller Sixty Five on Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:59 pm

Finally! An airplane trip! Of course, it was only a 2 hour domestic flight, but still, I think that's progress. That one team had their passports on the counter made me do a double take -- When did travel from VA to SC require passports? Do you need a visa for that? -- but then I realized they're probably just functioning as photo id's.

That teams are already wigging out so early in the race -- and I believe in the same time zone -- just baffles me.

I think the Aiellos just made too many little mistakes that added up. I can't understand why they chose the the mud detour, especially after the buggy in Lancaster. It's a pity, though. Papa Aiello seemed like a good guy.

Surprisingly, I find myself hoping the Paolos stick around for a while. They seem like genuine fans of the show, and really, their conflicts are amongst themselves. At least they're not out antagonizing other teams. As long as the SUV footage is minimized, I don't mind them so much.

Phil looked kind of tired (or sick?) at the pitstop. Maybe he was still recovering from the centrifuge, but there was just something ... off. It was nice to see him demonstrate a roadblock for once, though. I don't remember him ever doing that.
Maniller Sixty Five
at the start line

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:04 pm

yikes wrote:As twisted as the Weavers at the track looks so far, I don't mind it. I felt that from the start, the race was about challenging people, expect anything and everything and confront their fears head on, whether it be heights, snakes, etc. To me, this is a test for the family to see if they are ready to band together despite the circumstances and push through and in the process, face their nightmare head on. If Brian and Greg managed to survive their brush with death WHILE racing, why can't the Weavers go to a track?

Plus as others at TWoP have posted and pointed out, the "father died at the track" could have been their hook on the application form to begin with. If that was the case, then it's even less surprising.

And not to mention; the shit that Andre and Damon went through in the leg prior to their last one in TAR3? Also scarier than what the Weavers are dealing with. JMO. And in addition, as mentioned by someone else, Ian and his trip back to Vietnam. It wasn't blood, but I'm sure that him and his comrades were pretty close. He had to deal with racing in a place where I'm sure he saw several of his comrades die, and where his life was also on the line.

With the two teams mentioned, it was physically a matter of life or death; this time while it's emotionally and unfortunately mind-bending, no one will be in danger.

Of course, there are no guarantees, but still, ITA, yikes, their father's death could have been their hook on the application form to begin with. They even made mention to it on the race.
Last edited by SeaBreeze341 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby miri on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:06 pm

DouginTx wrote:I have mixed feelings about the Weavers. While the mentioning the Lord crap has got to end, I don't understand why all the other teams hate them so much.

If I had been trapped on a bus with them for 9 hours and they whined, cried, went bonkers most of the time? I'd have a hard time liking them too. (Of course, we don't know if they did that the whole time or if it was just for a bit, but still - that can't exactly make other people feel comfortable.
DouginTx wrote:The Rocket camp portion was so poorly designed. It all came down to picking the numbers.

I agree - and there was no place for them to make up time once they ended up on the charter flights.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Piperdown on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:08 pm

That was not a good episode...it just didn't flow, and the ending was weak. I don't say that because the Aiellos got eliminated, I just don't think it was well thought out. I really don;t like it when there is a one at a time task, and then an immediate pitstop, it just screws the team that's last, and I think there should always be at least one more chance to catch up. I am sorry to see the team go though, they were fun, and I liked the dynamic of the team.
Piperdown
TARfly

Postby yikes on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:13 pm

For those bringing up the poor design of the last part of the leg, this postseems to shed some light on it. Based on the timeline and when that Alabama article was posted, Hurricane Dennis was on the way.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby Abiz on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:30 pm

miri wrote:Right when they got to Space Camp? Something happened to one of the Linz boys eyes and they go wacky for awhile. I thought maybe he was being possessed by a Weaver - they look that freaky.

You spotted that, too? I thought, "Jeez, he suddenly looks hyperthyroid."
Abiz
taking a detour

Postby Kanuck on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:53 pm

I actually thought the first half of the episode was a step up from the last two eps, and included many of the elements I like in the race. I liked the various modes of transportation, and even though the drivers had cellphones only a few teams thought to ask for them (and they claim to be students of the show?). The detour options were good, the mix of self-drive/flights/bus sign-up was good, and the idea of a "mystery trip" was interesting. I think the big downfall was in having a long waiting list for the roadblock just before the pitstop, otherwise it was an ok ep.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby cutecouple on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:22 am

Somewhere in my near past, one of my friends said that sleep deprivation was like being drunk. Which cleared up a lot for me about how many people on many of the teams behaved.

As for the episode/leg design, it had an ad hoc feel to it. I wondered why they had to go out to sea to dehead the shrimp. I'm guessing if a Hurricane really did pass by, some of the historical things they would have otherwise done would have been closed. The multiple and different transportation options was a nice change of pace.

The 1st place gas prize was probably a little cheaper at the time it was awarded then now.

Overall, kinda reminded me of every other episode I've ever seen, with enough elements spoon fed to keep the teams in a tight bunch. It's a pity that they'll never run the race wide open anymore, with the potential for teams to be ahead or behind by more then an hour. I imagine in that case, spoilers would be extremely hard to prevent, especially in the U.S..
cutecouple
bunched

Postby leew261 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:53 am

That teams are already wigging out so early in the race -- and I believe in the same time zone -- just baffles me.

No, when they crossed into Alabama they went into their second time zone. Kinda pales in comparison to "Fly to South Africa" as the first clue of the race, doesn't it?
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby JenEx on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:35 am

I liked how the first half was all about Char saying that she was more of friends with Mark's kids than the evil stepmom, then you have Hunter calling her a bitch!

Yeah, that was lovely. And because they were concerned about how much info Hunter was sharing with Rolly (?), which is a perfectly legitimate thing to worry about. I don't mind Stassi, but Hunter's lost me. My 12-year-old stepson was appalled as well, which was reassuring for me, anyway.

This is the first show where I've been everywhere they went. Which I guess isn't saying much, but still. It was kind of cool. I was disappointed not to see more of Charleston, but if it was bc of the hurricane, then definately understandable.

Is anyone really that surprised that there's a racetrack this season? Has there been a season without some sort of racetrack? The Weavers ought to have been expecting it.

Now rooting for the sisters, I guess. Meh.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby joe m on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:35 am

Yay! Papa didn't hold back my girls this week. (-; Plus their rapport with the Aiellos has to be considered a good mark. Those are 2 very likable teams. Gonna miss the FIL/SILs.

I really can't blame Hunter for calling his step-mom a bitch. If she did say "shut your pie hole" to him, she totally deserved it. He was just sitting at the airport having fun with a kid his own age. I thought it was nice that Rolly and Hunter were bonding. It's a down time, there's really nothing to do, why not hang out? Stupid bitch. Stassi is still suprisingly non-annoying.
joe m
taking a detour

Postby JenEx on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:50 am

Well, she said "shut your pie-hole" about him, do we know what she actually said to him? It's not the most polite thing ever, granted, but if Hunter does have a habit of running at the mouth, I can see why they'd worry about it. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned (or maybe it's bc I'm a stepmom myself and I know how hard it can be) but I do think kids owe their parents some measure of respect just by virtue of their position, unless the parent does something legitimately horrid to lose that respect. Telling your kid to shut up isn't perhaps the best thing to say to them, but it's not enough to warrant being that rude -- particularly on tv. If you want to call your stepmom a bitch to your friends, kid, fine. Don't do it to some guy you barely know on television, on a show you'll have to watch with your dad later on.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby tallskinnylatte on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:01 am

I was engaged in the show during the first half of the episode (yay air travel!), but then it went downhill. The centrifuge thing was cool, but not really much of a challenge, and I hate that it was a one-at-a-time thing that made it come down to picking a number off a board. If they'd driven somewhere after that, or a had a challenge harder than checking your email afterwards, I might have liked it better.

The schadenfreude in me LOVED the "Mystery Bus Ride". Can you imagine being stuck on a bus (especially with those crazy Weavers) for who knows how long - not knowing if you have time to take a nap or relax and get comfortable....

Poor Waffle House people, but I guess they're used to seeing drunken loons.
tallskinnylatte
taking a detour

Postby emjaytee on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:07 am

Something happened to one of the Linz boys eyes and they go wacky for awhile

I noticed that too. And I love that you used that screencap on the home page! I'm thinking that maybe his contacts were drying out or something. But he looked scared as shit, but there was nothing to be scared about.

I think the Aiellos just made too many little mistakes that added up

But all that was evened out after they got on the bus. It was indeed just the picking of the "first come first served" tickets at the centrifuge that sealed their fate. The editors tried to make it seem as if the last three teams got confused are were wandering around aimlessly to try to build in some suspense. But it really didn't work.

From the TwoP link posted above...
The greeter was Bob Springer - an astronaut who flew on the first Atlantis mission and an all around fantastic guy.

I said to KonaKini, "I'll bet that guy is an astronaut". They should have said or at least put his name on the screen to differentiate that he's not just some anonymous greeter.

I liked how Carissa said she'd like to play in the mud. She is a cutie. And her brother is great too. I like how he really REALLY wanted to ride the centrifuge.
emjaytee
TARfloozy

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons