14.6 - We're At War

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Re: 14.6 - We're At War

Postby pinkgodzilla on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Mel's combination of determination and observation (noticing the huge stack of baskets, hello!) was impressive.

He noticed the phone as well. Mel is nineteen shades of awesome.

I was pulling for the attendants over the stuntmen when it came down to it. They made up a heck of a lot of time in spite of the speed bump and absent the vagaries of stopping for gas, speed of their driver etc. they came very close to having pulled it off.

I thought it was a nice editing touch to kill the audio when speaking with Luke and Margie about how the shaking task might be for a deaf individual. Reading faces, observing body language and the like.

I wonder, given a heavy bass of some kind, if Luke might have been able to pick up on it. I feel heavy bass and reverb in my chest or through the floor when it is cranked and I presume he can as well, but being outside there would be no chance of overpowering traffic vibrations felt in that instance.
pinkgodzilla
taking a detour

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:33 pm

oooh! I loved the race tonight.. all the memories of India and Jaipur were fresh in my mind (I as there in February) - so I was 'squeeing' for much of the episode cos I could work out exactly where they were almost 99% of the episode. I could even work out what taxi rank they used at the airport!!

I've been to the Amber fort, (the inside is AMAZING its a shame they didn't actually go in) & to the Jaigur fort - I actually stood where the pit stop was!!

I love Mel & MIke. Mel rocked that roadblock. I as so worried he would lag behind. And they had such fun while the others got so upset. I think Mel has a lot of potential adoptees to deal ith at TAR Con!

It was shame that he girls went out. I thought for sure that they would get 6th when they finished the detour before the brothers. Jaigur fort is well known and you can only get to it basically one way - its up a big hill - so the guys must have had a mega fast taxi driver, who passed up the girls at some point along the way.

Re: Vibrations - yes if there was bass he probably could feel it. But like you say that would ahve been mixed up with traffic vibrations. There is a very skilled and well known percussion player in the UK called Evelyn Glennie. She was the first full-time solo professional percussionist in 20th century western society. She's also profoundly deaf. She often plays barefoot to feel the vibrations. Shes an amazing player - and has also written some amazing band pieces, how she does it I dont know - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Glennie
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby Northwoods101 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:35 pm

If not for the gas stop the flight attendants would have come in sixth and Id never have to the stuntmen again, they say the worst things and are continuely iratating. Mel is just the best person possible who was been on TAR. His comment about the race not being worth yelling at anyone and feeling bad for it, was so refreshing. He proves that you dont need to yelling to make for interesting television. It is the tasks and locations which make TAR so great.

Jamie is the whinney cheerleader, she has a big vein down the middle of her forhead and isnt as pretty as Kara, the nice one. Was sad about Jamies outbursts is she is a huge fan of TAR and has seen every episode, it seems that she didnt learn anything by watching.

I agree with the edit giving away the lsosing team this week, the more round faced of the blondes was clearly teary eyed during the interview.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby cooper on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:04 pm

What exactly were Jaime's outbursts? I must miss these things. I just watched the ep and didnt come away with any impression of her having been obnoxious and yet everyone on here is saying she was. What, the time with the taxi cab? I just put that down to stress, it must have been very stressful to find your cab was gone with ur bags, passports, money etc, to search for it for nearly half an hour, falling behind, not knowing if this was going to put you out of the race or not. Id probably be cursing up a storm myself and damning everyone around me. There were obviously other things she said that I missed, but I honestly didnt notice anything that was exceptionally mean spirited or vindictive.
Must be just me, maybe Im too forgiving of things.
I was kind of hoping Christie and Jodi would stay in there at the end, but oh well. I also dont mind the Stuntmen as much as others on here (oh oh I see a trend developing here!) so Im happy they stayed in. I actually like all the remaining teams quite a lot still, even Kisha andJen have grown on me big time and I was ambivalent towards them in the first few eps. They're actually pretty good racers.
It was a good show all around tonight, the seasons been first class so far. I never get tired of India either.
At this point I dont have any real fave for the win, Id be happy with anyone really. Thats a rarity!
cooper
bunched

Postby Bart Ender on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 pm

whereverthefk wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, they can go to India every single season. It's nearly always interesting, there are a ton of different regions, places to visit and things to do (I'd love it if they went up to Kashmir, but I'm not sure if they ever would, for security reasons), and it really tests the racers' strength and fortitude -- both physical AND emotional -- as they deal with their tasks and the shock of their environment. Classic KF location.

I totally agree. But it helps when the racers do things that they can only do in India - like dealing with India's unique public transportation system or dancing in public in a camel costume or painting an elephant - as opposed to tasks that are tangentially related to the location but could be done anywhere, like filling a box with water and piling food for animals.
Bart Ender
fast forwarding

Postby Babalu on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Add me to the big-time love for Mel and Mike. I'll be devastated when (if) they're eliminated. It occurred to me last night that most of their "complaining," if you can even call it that, is in the form of concern for each other - "I don't want to let Mike down," "I wish I had done this one so my dad wouldn't be having such a hard time." Do you think they'd mind adopting all of us as children, sisters, or favorite aunts?

I feel a little bad that it's apparently only one redhead who's obnoxious because I still don't know which is which so I conflate both them into one and, as a result, can't stand either.

Also - agree about India. I love it when they go there. I'd love to see them go to Kashmir, too, someday, wtf, if it ever becomes safe. I long to go there myself, although it's probably much different than it used to be.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby whereverthefk on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:18 am

What exactly were Jaime's outbursts? I must miss these things.

For at least the second (maybe the third?) time, Jaime was stomping around yelling about people not speaking English. It was, as it always it, ugly.

I can't tell them apart, either, Babalu -- I know they look different, but I don't know which is which. Which I agree is a shame, because the non-Ugly American one seems perfectly fine.

I totally agree. But it helps when the racers do things that they can only do in India - like dealing with India's unique public transportation system or dancing in public in a camel costume or painting an elephant

Agree 100%, Bart. This is one of my quibbles with many of the places TAR has gone over the past few seasons -- they go to these amazing places, then do something completely generic that isn't something locals do and is something they could do elsewhere. India's public transport system is the perfect example of the Racers actually having to DEAL with the place, culture and people -- and those instances are where the real magic (including magically delicious meltdowns) happens.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby Tea-time on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:27 pm

kelda_shelton wrote:It was shame that he girls went out. I thought for sure that they would get 6th when they finished the detour before the brothers. Jaigur fort is well known and you can only get to it basically one way - its up a big hill - so the guys must have had a mega fast taxi driver, who passed up the girls at some point along the way.

They did different detours, so my guess is that the place where the stuntmen delivered the barrels was closer to the fort than where the blondes did the street performance.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby KenF on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:42 pm

In this interview, Christie & Jodi mentioned three factors doomed their chances.

1. Their cab driver went30 minutes in the wrong direction.

2. Their cab driver stopped for gas.

3. Mark & Michael were one and a half miles closer to the Pit Stop from their Detour as compared to the Stewardesses so even though Chrstie & Jodi left before the brothers, they still had longer to reach the Pit Stop.

And still, they were just two minutes behind the brothers at the mat. I would have loved them to stay in the race.
KenF
taking a detour

Previous

Return to Past Seasons